Pages

Saturday, February 21, 2009

02-21-09 Spring Trip




Today we headed to the base of the Spring Mountains, relatively close to home. It's a 15min drive on the freeway and about 40 minutes on some dirt roads. I have been driving by this particular area on a daily basis and for some reason it has just called to me. My gut feeling that there had to be something had paid off. We discovered a spring and it's waters flowed into a small stream which carved through the snow. About 10ft from where I parked were ruins of an old cabin. 100 yards or so down stream lay what seemed to be the remains of a cemetery. The cabin was small, not much more than a foundation. Some of the doorway and walls were still intact. The "cemetery" looked like just a few dead tree branches stuck into the ground at first. upon closer inspection I noticed the old wire that joined them. I then realized they made up a fence which covered about a 20ft square area.




Video of the spring:





We spent the day exploring the area as the dogs ran around playing in the snow. Unfortunately, after deciding to drive further down the snow and mud covered road, we ran into a dead end. We turned around and headed back up the narrow, slippery road back to civilization. Now my gut is telling me there might be more back in this valley and we're eager to explore here again.

2 comments:

  1. How cool!!! I might sound like a true clevelander but what would one do in that cabin....herd goats? Rob wagon trains? Keep following your gut... I think your gut is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After some thought....mining, that's what they did in that cabin.

    ReplyDelete